Friday 11 October 2013

grandkids

there is not one person on this planet that i love more than my nana. i've always known one grandparent only and i feel quite privileged that i was her first granddaughter. :-) i've started to spend lots of time with her or, or at least i always want to. two weekends ago i went to nana's house after school. it took 3 buses and about 2 hours. i enjoyed the journey there. if i wasn't sewing my textiles stuff and being a potential danger to the world, i was looking outside the window or eavesdropping on the conversations of strangers. i remember i heard one woman talking on the phone to someone about their friend who had overdosed the night before. i didn't look behind me because i don't like to blatantly impose on people's privacy (even if my ears are perked up like a dog's) but the man sat next to me did then the lady went to sit upstairs not long after that. i didn't see what she looked like.
when i got to nana's she was so happy to see me and we spent the weekend drinking tea and talking and i think we watched some news, probably bbc and al jazeera. on sunday i left her house early and went to my aunty's church in central london by underground. i love my nana so so much and her company is the easiest to have. maybe that's due to a lifetime of learning. we talked about her mum never teaching her to cook and how she'd go out clubbing from friday to sunday when she lived in uganda and she told me that two of her uncles fought in world war 2 and were really proud of it. she was born in the year it ended. before this year i didn't even know black people had fought in the world wars - i find it crazy that so many did!
i can't remember the exact words now, but nana told me something about how your children will never love you like/as much as your grandkids will because they're always trying to break away from you and be independent. the difference is that your grandkids only know you as a grandparent and so they're more curious. nana has 5 grandchildren now and i think she's proud of us all. we love her so much. the youngest, my nearly 2 year old cousin lauren, really reminds me of nana. i want to have lots of children and lots of grandchildren some day. it must be so beautiful to have a source of happiness that grew inside of and directly comes from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment