Wednesday 29 May 2013

he hit me and it felt like a kiss

last night i was randomly thinking about domestic abuse in homosexual relationships so i googled it. naturally, i read what first came up: an article from the guardian (one of my favourite online newspapers). it makes me so sad to read that "most of the abuse goes unreported as homosexual people worry that homophobia will cause more problems". how horrible and frightening is that? people's lives are in danger but can't even try to get help because they're scared of being hurt even more, it's sick. i'd never even thought about how domestic abuse is so often portrayed as a heterosexual thing.
a couple of weeks ago i was at my friend's house and we watched the colour purple on her laptop (i didn't know oprah was such a good actress!). there is domestic violence in the film and my friend said to me that she doesn't know why people make such a big deal out of men hitting women, and something about how sometimes people just need to be put in their place. i don't agree with or even understand that statement but i couldn't coherently form an argument so i said nothing (this happens too much). i want to talk to her about it more. i think it's really important to be able to maturely discuss controversial stuff with people you care about, it can teach you to respect other people's opinions.
anyway, on a lighter note, yesterday my family was watching holby city and the episode ended with a scene of two black men kissing. it was hilarious to see my dad so uncomfortable and i burst out laughing when he got annoyed that my mum didn't change the channel so my younger brothers wouldn't have to see. she replied that it's just real life. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment