Wednesday 12 February 2014

don't call me beautiful

'i love your hair' by tim okamura
i can relate to this painting so much omg. it's like the girl is sort of happy about your comment but at the same time disappointed. like how and why is that the only thing you've noticed? there are so many answers in her eyes to questions you could ask and there are conversations wrapped in her curls to be unravelled yet that is the best thing you could say?
it's like when someone says you're pretty. of course that is lovely and sweet but there is so much more to me that could be appreciated than just what is on display.



a poem i saw on tumblr:

don't call me beautiful
i don't care
call me intelligent
tell me my laugh is contagious
that i made you smile
tell me i have something to offer

4 comments:

  1. beautiful post and incredibly true, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wJl37N9C0 - some great slam poetry on being "pretty" http;//fashiondymond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you anna. :-) i've seen that poem, it's so relatable and honest. slam poetry is good.
      x

      Delete
  2. Love this! When I meet people the first time the only thing they talk about is my hair. I so get you. X

    ReplyDelete